Iconoclasm in Modern America

Could we say that iconoclasm is alive and well in modern America? Are there Catholics or Protestants in a rush to root out inappropriate images of saints and destroy them? Not really—though we could certainly get that impression from slightly-too-zealous anti-Protestant Orthodox Christians. And if I found myself making a case that my Protestant or Catholics friends and family were actually iconoclasts, I would lay most of the blame on myself for trying to make myself out as a victim and martyr.

Now, I must say that most of the Protestants I know certainly are not comfortable with icons; they would not even dream of using icons in any way beyond possibly just religious decoration. Catholics? Well, I know a lot less, but I can say that one of my Catholic friends gave me an icon, which he bought at a Catholic retreat. He did not have a problem with icons, and evidently having an icon vender at a diocesan-sanctioned retreat was acceptable.

Uncomfortableness or lack of use does not make anybody an iconoclast. However, I would say that there is an important similarity between modern (non-Orthodox) Christians in America and those iconoclastic emperors of 8th century Constantinople: cultural discomfort. As stated in the previous post, the Isaurian emperors were from an area which had little connection to Christian monasteries, but rather had daily and substantial communication with image-hating Muslims. To say it simply: modern Americans are just not used to icons.

It is natural for any of us to recoil at something we are not used to. When I was a boy, I would peek under the lid of my friend’s mother’s meals, because I knew there was a good chance something “weird” was going to come out of any pot at their house. However, I later lived in China for several years; I saw a lot of foods hit the table which were new to me, which over time, slowly eroded away my aversion to new and different foods.

All of us only know what we know. Modern Americans grew up in a context which did not include icons or any of the other “oddities” of the Orthodox Church. If they ever even have a chance, they are still “peeking under the lid”, fully expecting something weird. That does not make them iconoclasts...just as much as showing veneration to the icons does not make Orthodox Christians idol worshippers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Miriam Speaks against Moses

What to Do in Place of Liturgy

One Concept for Paul and Two Words in English